LBS has appointed a new Professor of Practice, Stuart Black. Business Newsroom sat down with Stuart and asked him what brought him to LBS and how he’ll be approaching his new role.

Stuart Black PoP LBS

Professors of Practice

LBS has been appointing Professors of Practice since 2015. Professors of Practice have significant experience in business, public or the not-for-profit sectors, and play a key role in facilitating links between the La Trobe Business School and industry. They contribute to the design of industry relevant curriculum, they reflect best practice nationally and internationally, and they conduct lectures, workshops and executive programs. Because of their extensive industry experience, they can provide students with unique professional and practical insights into the business world.

About Stuart

Stuart recently retired from Deloitte after driving the “analytics inside” agenda as a senior partner. Some of his key responsibilities at Deloitte involved the Data Asset Agenda, analytics-enabled innovation, the development of decoupled platforms & products, analytics-enabled transformation of audit, tax and financial advisory services as well as cultural transformation of professional staff around innovation & analytics. Prior to Deloitte, Stuart worked as a Strategy Principal at National Australia Bank, as a Principal for A.T. Kearney (Sydney, Melbourne, Asia) and as Senior Consultant for Andersen Consulting in the US, UK and Malaysia. Stuart is also on the La Trobe Business School Master of Business Analytics Advisory Board.

Welcome to the La Trobe Business School Stuart. How did you get involved with LBS?

A few years ago, I was approached by LBS to join the Master of Business Analytics Advisory Board. As a board member from industry, I provided insight on what the industry is looking for in graduates, particularly the skills and experiences graduates need to have when they finish their degree. Then, in 2018, around the same time that I retired as a partner from Deloitte, LBS was introducing the School of Disruption concept, something I found very interesting, and they were in the midst of developing the Bachelor of Digital Business. The Data Analytics team then approached me and asked me to be involved with developing course material, particularly the cornerstone and the capstone course for this new degree. This eventually led to becoming a Professor of Practice. 

How are you approaching your role as Professor of Practice?

To me, my role has three elements. Firstly, there is the teaching element, delivering subjects from a practice-driven perspective. Secondly, I am working with a group of like-minded academics from across LBS to bring the concept of disruption into LBS’ courses and materials across the board. Lastly, using my industry connections. How do we connect the university with the outside world and bring the outside world into the university environment? For the subjects I developed, I contacted people in my network and got them involved as well. It creates unique learning opportunities for students, having industry people discussing disruption in the real world through guest lectures, short videos, etcetera.

LBS welcomes Stuart on board!