LBS is delighted to announce that Phil Dolan has been appointed as Adjunct Professor in the Business School. Phil is currently an Angel Investor, providing capital for start-ups. Prior to that he was Head of Investment Research at Macquarie Bank, Director of the Applied Finance Centre at Macquarie University, Dean of the Business School at UWA and Acting PVC of the College of Arts, Social Sciences and Commerce at La Trobe University.

Business Newsroom sat down with Phil to talk about his latest appointment.

Welcome Phil! What brings you to LBS?

During my time as Acting Pro Vice Chancellor for the College of ASSC, I had the opportunity to observe the La Trobe Business School firsthand. I was very impressed with every aspect of the School’s operations, its faculty, its course offerings, and its industry links.

What are you bringing to LBS?

In terms of background, before my time in academia I spent 14 years working in the finance industry, at Macquarie Bank. While there, I was primarily responsible for overseeing the research activity of the Bank’s investment management arm, and I regularly interacted with finance academics and was a regular hirer of graduates from finance programs. My academic background has been primarily in Business Schools, most recently as Dean of the UWA Business School. Now that I have relocated to Melbourne, I am keen to be involved further at La Trobe.

How will you approach your role as adjunct professor?

I spent 7 years at Macquarie University, overseeing their Masters in Applied Finance program, the largest of its kind in the world (1,200 students). I taught in the program for some years, and would welcome the opportunity to get back in the classroom.

I am very supportive of the trend to expose students to teachers who combine academic and industry experience, and I look forward to contributing in this way to LBS.