On top of the Helipad Bar gazing at the Petronas Towers

By Achan Amol

Going into my second year of studies in a Bachelor of Business (Tourism and Hospitality) at LBS, I was eager to travel, as travel has been a massive passion of mine. In June/July 2016 I travelled to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, with the help of the study abroad team who got in contact with an organisation called CISaustralia. The La Trobe Study Abroad team gave me a tremendous level of support in enhancing my trip, so that it became an unforgettable experience. I was advised of the opportunity to do an internship abroad. Then the rest of the work was completed by the awesome team at The Global Student who worked together with CISaustralia to find me a great position at a four star hotel called Crystal Crown Hotel, Petaling Jaya. I worked there at the front desk of the hotel as a receptionist.

During my six weeks at the Crystal Crown Hotel, I was able to put the theory that I had learnt in my first year of studies into action in a practical environment. I was greeting, checking guests in and out, making bookings, answering phone calls and undertaking all the other duties that came with the position I was working in. I also learnt a great deal about culture as a majority of the guests coming into the hotel were either locals or international visitors from all paths of life. The opportunity to work as an intern in Malaysia has broadened my perspective of the world around me and made me aware of the different cultures around the globe.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

With my final year just around the corner this internship gave me hands on experience in an ideal potential future job that I could undertake after completing my degree. Being able to work as a full time intern overseas opens a wide range of career opportunities and also provides opportunities such as networking, experiencing a new culture and meeting new people.  I highly recommend it.

Achan Amol is in her second year of studies in a Bachelor of Business (Tourism and Hospitality) at La Trobe Business School.