On 8 October 2016, La Trobe Business School hosted a successful start-up bootcamp delivering on its My Big Idea promise to train 500 Australians to be positive change makers.

The day was coordinated by La Trobe Business School’s Professor of Entrepreneurship, Dr Alex Maritz, who gave the welcoming presentation to participants in the morning. He spoke about ways for participants to refine, pitch and build on their idea and encouraged participants to share their idea with others in the room, using Pollenizer techniques such as ideation, proof of problem discovery and pitching for influence.

Several La Trobe Business School staff members, including academics and PhD students, acted as mentors for participants throughout the day, offering their feedback and advice on several ideas. LBS Staff included academics Associate Professor Vanessa Ratten, Dr Quan Nguyen and PhD candidates Anne Brouwer, Claudia Shwetzer and Anna Amirsardari. “Giving the participants the chance to interact about their idea with our experienced staff one-on-one is a very valuable opportunity,” Professor Alex Maritz said. “We put quality over quantity, in the favour of our aspiring Big Idea participants.”

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Participants enjoyed the day and hoped to use the tools to take their idea to the next level: “I personally was very pleased to get tools to test my idea and see if it is logical and all in all achievable as a concept.” Bootcamper Hanna said. “I feel like I now have more knowledge to critically evaluate my idea and determine which direction I want to go in. Big thank you for La Trobe, all the mentors, My Big Idea Australia and fellow bootcampers!”

La Trobe Business School is looking forward to see participants unpack their ideas in the future!